Who Am I?













 These photos were taken from the assignment "Who Am I?" in which I was asked to photograph images representing who I am and why they describe me:

            Why is everyone's first question, ¨How would you describe yourself?” For years I dreaded this situation until I understood that no answer is correct. I could use adjectives, yet that would not be enough. I could define myself as an introvert and socially anxious, but then you might not see the true reality within me. Throughout my life I have been taught, “God comes first, do not fear to question authority, and walk slowly and see the beauty from above and within.” These phrases I’ve acquired made me a living mosaic, each stone from every person I truly know.

Each person I’ve met from my parents, to my grandparents, to my cousins, to my friends have given me a new perspective of life. From my mother I have inherited her looks as her “spitting image,” from her beautiful curls to her distinct virtuous morals. She as well as my grandmother allowed me to see the beauty of God’s love and the joys He can bring into my life For example one of my favorite memories included my grandmother buying me Krispy Kreme after spending an hour in adoration. As tedious as prayer may have been as a child, faith is my most treasured aspect in my life as now I see the joy with each “Amen.” 

A man distant in location but close to heart created this indescribable view of the world in my mind. He introduced me to trying new things and getting out of my comfort zone. My father was the reason I began playing volleyball and discovered for myself a profound love for the game. My father not only taught me to try new things but to meet new people and that each individual has their own unique story. For this reason I wish I could thank my father everyday, for without him I would never have the friends and memories I’ve made, in life especially through volleyball. 

My late grandpa molded my view of life. By caring for him, I now see the world in his perspective. His slow, aged pace allowed him to absorb the beauty of creation inch by inch. This established my love for not only arts and crafts but photography in seeing not only the beauty in each individual person but in nature. The more I began to view nature through my lens the more I learned to love its constant recurring colors, green and brown, as seen in plants and even fruits such as coconuts, a family favorite. My grandpa would repeatedly see the beauty in me asking, “Full of Grace, why are you so beautiful?” Although I was not able to fully grasp his keen and pure heart, everyday I turn and see God’s beauty whether it be in the mirror, in nature, or within my very friends.

While searching into my past, I recognize a bubble in my youth. I used to think of my bubble as a curse, but now I find new meaning within it. Similar to how breath expands the bubble, I see the potential within me to expand my exposure to the outside world. This has enabled me to strengthen my faith and academic life by maintaining the small things I've learned in a world of unique perspectives. Growing up in a small catholic school it was not as easy to find friends with the exact same interests as me. However through music I was able to find my own sound creating a sort of escape from reality. Instead of viewing my bubble as a cage, it has become my magnifying glass to inspect the beauty within contrasts of myself and others. 

Comments